Monday, September 29, 2014

Monday September 29th

Today in math, the students are multiplying two numbers but in a different way than they are used to. Though, I have told them that if they would like to set the problems up in the standard algorithm to double check their work, then with a calculator... I am totally okay with that.

If the problem is not already set up, and doesn't tell them to do it a certain way, they can solve it in which ever way they choose (minus the calculator route : ]).

Due to an amazing (cough cough) update my ipad underwent, I am now unable to download photos on here. So, I am going to have to find someone tech savvy to fix it for me!

I am going to try my hardest to show you an example!

4 x 50
_____ones x ______ tens = 20 ___________ [we would fill in 4 ones, 5 tens and since a ones place times a tens place would be ten, we would fill in 20 tens]
_______ [20 tens is the same as 20x10 which equals 200]

400 x 500
______hundred x ______ hundred = 20 ________
____________
* We would fill in 4 hundred x 5 hundred = 20 ten thousands. If we are confused why, we are multiplying hundreds x hundreds (100 x 100) which equals 10,000. Now our answer we have 20 ten thousands. The kids may remember that there are 4 zeros in 10,000 or in 100x100 and know to add them to the end of 20 which would give us 200,000. If they used a calc or the standard algorithm to check this, they would come out with the same answer.

Hope this makes sense and I will get working on my camera issue!

Mrs. C

No comments:

Post a Comment