Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tuesday September 30th

Math Lesson 2 (module 2)

The concept of this lesson is to estimate. When estimating, we are trying to get our students to solve the problems in their head and not have to rely on paper and pencil standard algorithms.

Your student may estimate differently, using different rounded numbers. That is okay. What I told them is to pick numbers that they can easily work with.



On number 1a., I first rounded my numbers to 700 x 80. I then multiplied 7 by 8 which equals 56. I have 3 zeros in my question and I add those to the end of my 56 to get 56,000. (Although not all students will think of it this way, I know many do.)

Checking the problem with a standard algorithm is also fine. The point of this new math is to give our students many options when solving math problems. I personally have found myself thinking about math in a completely different way and it has been amazing.

Grandparent's Day is tomorrow! Please do not forget to send your student with a sack lunch as the cafeteria will not be serving food tomorrow.

We do not have school Thursday October 2nd, Friday October 3rd, or Monday October 6th. This would be a really great time to catch up on A.R. goals : ]

Mrs. C

No comments:

Post a Comment